- Official SXSW program, or playbook, or souvenir publication, or whatever.
- My host for SXSW Week: Benbrown Dotcom,
a recent convert to the Austin faith.
- Lots of parties and meet-and-greet,
SXSW-affiliated and otherwise, await
throughout the next few days.
- Evan Williams, Jack Saturn, and Robert
Occhialini at the Milkshake Media open
house. Robert tells me he has an excellent
zoom photo of my nose.
- At the Web Awards: Ben is bored and
- Lane and Monstro beat out Ana Voog's
breasts in the Best Online Diary category.
- The Deepleap pre-launch party, rocking the
- Branded condoms in the conference goodie
bag. I only got one from drdrew.com. Others
got up to three. I took it personally.
- Frogdesign's party featured drums, cotton
candy, tattoos, neon, fire, clowns, and too
many people in too small a space.
- Also at Frogdesign: geek-envy chairs and
Bryan Boyer, Jesse Chan-Norris, Heather
Champ, Claire Hurman, Ben, Derek Powazek.
- Heather had the best "business cards",
followed closely by Betty Ray's.
- Betty, in her official capacity as Mayor of
Fuckertown, was was also handing out
- Name That Weblogger: Robert Occhialini,
Nikolai Nolan, Jack Saturn, Brad Graham,
Jesse James Garrett, Fred Pyen. I even
managed to have conversations with most of
- I ended up with many shiny new stickers .
- The Usercentric Design panel was packed, so
Sarah whipped out a little Sony digital
recorder and started an impromptu panel of
her own. Like the previous day's Life Online
panel but cooler.
- Maura heads up the discussion while Gregory
gets the audio under control; Sarah looks on.
- Jeff Veen is taller than Jennifer Niederst, and
pretty much everyone else.
- The thing to do with a garage is to project
video games onto it.
- Probably it was too late to be taking pictures:
Lance Arthur, Steven Champeon, Courtney
Skott, Lane, Shauna Wright, Ben.
- They take food seriously in Texas. Pableaux
put Bryan to work chopping a huge bag of
bell peppers; Jesse supervised.
- I hit the t-shirt jackpot the last day of the
conference. Extra points to bigwords.com for
providing women's sizes and cute cartoon
- We weren't supposed to take pictures in the
actual panels. But Judith Zissman and Bryan
and Claire weren't awake enough to care.
- 5:30 on Tuesday evening and the last panel
of the conference is over---Jason Kottke
powernaps before the closing party.
- Hoover's provided limo service to the closing
party at Twist; Jesse, John Halcyon Styn, and
Ben live large for the entire three blocks.
- I nearly made the mistake of flying home
without a ritual plush toy purchase.
Fortunately, a shop across the street from
Twist was able to help me out...
- ...and my very favorite bit of conference
swag---the Disgruntled Housewife
dishtowel---now complements my
tastefully appointed kitchen.
sxsw pix etc. | sxsw journal | faces & places